Hey all! So I am currently planning a short, just a few days, family vacation for our 17th wedding anniversary coming up in November. Which just a few years ago would have been no problem. I wouldnt have batted an eye. The arrangements would have been done and we would just have fun. Except, now I have to deal with my pain. There is so much more to travelling with chronic pain. These are just some tips or tricks I have discovered for travel with chronic pain or illness.
- Make sure you pack all your meds and a few extra med supplies just in case you get caught in a situation where you cant return home right away.
- Take comfort items to help while you are away from home. One of the things I like to take is my own pillow. When I am in a car or in a hotel, having my pillow makes me feel more comfortable.
- Take any assistive equipment you need (i.e. cane, walker, wheelchair). I learned this one the hard way. Never assume you can rent or borrow any equipment you might need.
- A forgiving attitude! Travel can be difficult under the best of circumstances. I seem to always have some issue when we travel so I try and remember to be forgiving and gracious it can make the difference between a trip from you know where and hey its not the best trip but it certainly could have been worse!
- Try and rest before you leave. Vacation is supposed to be relaxing but it never seems to be! I know for me and my family when we go on vacation we are trying to pack in the absolute most we can get. I get tired more easily now because of pain, medication side effects and I try and keep up with everyone else which makes me more tired.
Just remember to have fun! And try not to take yourself too seriously…